Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Baby and Mom oil portrait

I got final approval for Sandy and Domino and while I was waiting for that email, I went ahead and drew my next one which I've quickly under painted today. A new baby and his momma, 8x10 oil. This will go to Chicago.

Hillary asked me what I meant by final approval and/my process for commissions. First, here are my 6-yr old commission prices. I haven't read it in a while but I guess since I wrote it I agree with it lol!

Anyway I divide the process in 3-4 stages. First, the client "retains" me which to me means, I save a slot in my waiting list for this client for 1/4 or 1/3 of the final fee which is based on size and how complicated the piece will be. This retainer fee is unrefundable because it means their turn is guaranteed and I possibly researched and bought materials for it already. In all likelihood, I was already painting it in my head before I finished the previous piece.

Next I draw the art and get approval for the composition and maybe the likeness too. Then I block in colors and again I get approval for the colors and the look. Somewhere there the next payment is secured. Final payment is sent when the piece is about 95% or more done.

And here is the just about done version of Sandy and Domino, I just need to paint the edges of the canvas :)

I apologize for not visiting my usual rounds. I'm on the roll and sorta don't want to break the groove ;)

7 comments:

  1. I love the composition of your new mom and baby portrait - it's going to be beautiful. Thank you for sharing your approval and payment process - it really helps to know some good business practices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dog painting came out great!! I can't wait to see the completed work of the mom and baby.
    Your commission info is helpful. I should include mine in my website, so I don't have to explain each time, but the thing is...I don't like doing commissions. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ruth! Thank you for gracing my blog and letting me know you're one of my readers. I am not as diligent about my business presence or contacts so I don't really keep track of my visitors when they don't make themselves known. Thanks so much for keeping me company :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hillary I'm lovin' the composition of the Mommy-baby too. I totally was attracted to it among the 50-some photos I saw.

    I wonder if you could return the favor and talk about YOUR commission process and pay schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Akiko most artists are not fans of commissions. But I feel bad for people who aren't able to commission you because you're excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the info, schweetie! Now, hurry up and finish these commies so we can play in the paint again!

    luvs ya
    red

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment ~Erika