Thursday, March 18, 2010

CMAM Tea cup and Daffodils


"Margaret's Basket" 8"x10" oil on canvas
( scanned inside the frame because it's still wet)

This my contribution to Alice Thompson's Calypso Moon artist Movement. This month's subject objects we collect. We were instructed to show 2 items we collect but the day I was getting set up to paint my piece I was surprised by my neighbor along with her visiting granddaughter who had a handful of freshly cut daffodils for me. I am a regular beneficiary of my neighbor's happy garden but occasionally it's so I can visit with her favorite visitor who is a walking inspiration to me. But let me talk about this painting first...

What do I collect? Majority of what I collect is for my art's sake. So it's art supplies, still life props (cups, vases, scarves, pitchers, metal things, etc.), and even admired artist's works. In this piece I chose a couple objects from my still life props collection. A small glass vase which used to be a perfume bottle but the dipping glass has disappeared or broke from having been packed a few times. And a delicate and unusual bone China cup. Originally I wanted to depict red things I collect because I tend to gravitate toward red nostalgic objects. I chose the title because I bought a basket from a local artist who makes such sweet baskets (and makes them very well!), and I remember picturing it with daffodils inside so I had to give Margaret Alter credit somehow :)

I painted the still life in one day so I'm particularly gratified that I painted what I saw in my head! Painting flowers tend to stress me out because they overwhelm me and I always feel like I need to HURRY UP!!!

Early the following day (yesterday), I was due at my friend's house for a group painting session. Well my neighbor's grand daughter was there too! She is such an amazing girl at 10; mature and so innocent and definitely intelligent. She is blind but I've forgotten her complete diagnosis. I met her when she was rollerskating about 4 years ago in her grandparents' driveway. She also rock climbs but her real passion is horseback riding and she's been winning awards already! Anyway, rather than paint still life with my friends, I decided to attempt an impromptu portrait of her and try a limited palette. I knew it was a bad idea especially when she discovered the chair she was sitting in was a rocking chair! LOL It's hard enough to photograph an active kid and the donut and fruit juice didn't help. Well I didn't really do as well as I hope but it's not as bad as I feared I suppose. And I did resort to taking photo of her and popped the memory card in the laptop for the rest of the session while we tried to make sure we didn't neglect her presence. She even read excerpts from Harry Potter for a bit which I enjoyed because I love HP. All in all a day well spent with good friends!



20 comments:

  1. Sweet CD! Love this blog post, and so glad to see you are beyond your art dry spell! There's hope for me yet!!! xxoo
    Red

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Red! Yeah I didn't realize how much my painful rotator cuff was actually affecting my whole being! I was unproductive and very uninspired! I feel tons better though just a little sore again during the winter. Your version of a dry spell is doing 9 things vs 10, I know you! Loves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika you're really an artist in and out...in your thoughts, words and deeds...I admire you ...an artist with a heart...keep up with your positive outlook in art with a human touch...you're one of the best out there and I've met hundreds of artists worldwide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! We get two gems for the price of one post! Love the challenge piece. Reminiscent of the style painted by the Masters.

    What a sweet portrait of your friend's granddaughter. She is lovely and I believe you've captured her spunk, intelligence and a bit of mischievous nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi April thanks so much! Not sure what it was all based on but it sounds nice thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila you're sweet :) Understandably, Alice rejected my piece for the challenge because I painted more than one object LOL Now I know Ms Alice is serious about these rules! It's ok I totally support that! Hopefully I can pull off another piece by deadline keep fingers crossed!

    Thank you thank you, what great compliment about my piece reminiscent of Master wow! Those are the kind of art the feed me!

    That little girl is nothing short of awesome. She read so well too it's probably college level! At least Senior High School level; I don't think she does anything mediocre. I wish I had more time to really paint her for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika, yes the replacement photo is "ready for the world". I hope you have fun tomorrow for that Big Anniversary. There will always be another challenge. As I said in the emails- I'm glad to see you painting and posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Alice thanks for the input! Yes 10th year anniversary woohoo! My track record is 6 so this is really a major milestone LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shipmate Erika Nelson, you faced Captain's Mast and received a sentence by Calypso Moon to walk the plank into the unknown abyss for breaking 5 Rules. However, you have been rescued by a last minute pardon by Her Majesty The Queen of Art.
    She highly desires for your entry into the EBSQ Daffodil show to be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aye, thank you oh kind-hearted and exalted schmexy great queen! I never managed to pick up a brush all weekend as life just completely took over! Hope to catch you next time but it's already a hectic April ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely painting. The warmth and homeyness of the daffodils is an interesting backdrop for the more exotic looking teacup and bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice, very nice. The string from the teabag is amusing. I lovalovalove the daffodils in the basket.
    -from this view the edge on the teacup needs a tweak of lighter, the shading looks like it is bending in- a matter of one brushstroke for you my dear.
    The portrait of the rockclimbing horseriding rollerblading girl of interior vision is fabulous.
    MINX!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barbara thanks so much! It has snowed heavily since those daffodils I hope I'll be able to enjoy more of them once the snow is completely gone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Earthula glad the string amused you too :) Thanks for input and compliments I always enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep going back to take a peek as it's so comforting on my eyes! Even though the light is subdued, the red and yellow brighten it up just enough. You set just the right mood. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Hank I'm so glad you like it enough to post on my blog! Thank you and please don't be a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Margaret's Basket! Those are wonderful warm colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much Mz Tiglizzyclone! Hope you've been well :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The warmth and glow in the teacup and flower painting is absolutely beautiful. It makes me feel nostalgic and happy.
    Very hard to paint a moving subject. She must be one amazing girl to be in such active sports without sight. You captured her vitality and energy, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Liz! I like that it makes you feel nostalgic, that's what I was aiming for. She's quite special my little friend. I have to also credit her loving family because they encourage her curiosity and passion. She and her family don't seem to have the word disabled in their vocabulary lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment ~Erika