Monday, December 28, 2009

DSDF and HAPPY NEW YEAR WISHES!


9x12 charcoals and pastels (click to enlarge)
The time has come for Different Strokes by Different Folks annual portrait swap between artists. Karin Jurick is so wonderfully generous with her time and so dedicated I truly owe her for the inspiration to just do it! :)

My company left this morning so I quickly jumped on my piece and got it done! I wanted to do something different from my usual routine when I do the challenges because it's an opportunity to discover something. I really just wanted to do just a black, white and the toned ground. But I ended up rendering my piece like I do my usual charcoal drawings lol Anyway here's my portrait partner, isn't she beautiful? :) Please do take the time to see the other portraits be clicking on the link above!

I also recently finished my last portrait commission for my 2009 deadline. It's always a great compliment to have return costumers. I've done multiple pieces for these folks and I love that they think of my art to gift loved ones.


"Charlie" 11x14 charcoal on toned paper

My husband and I had a WONDERFUL 3-week visit from my Mom for Christmas. I hope you all had a good one yourselves. Here's wishing you all a very happy and healthy New Year! :)

Finally, I hope YOU DECIDE to check out this article!
CLICK HERE

16 comments:

  1. Erika, you certainly made me look young and beautiful. Thanks so much for painting me. Really like it!!!!

    Anne Marie Propst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika! It's so nice to see your new work. These portraits are both wonderful. Their eyes are full of life. You've done a great job.
    Have a wonderful new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Erika...and commissions, you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job with both portraits, Erika. I hope you have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anne I enjoyed drawing you - you have that Liz Taylor look about you :) I'm so glad you like! I like mine too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Akiko, I KNOW it's been forever and a day since I was fairly active here. My NY resolution is to get beck in the groove! Thanks you are my role model for eye painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dana! Thanks so much! Yeah this challenge was great fun as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edward thanks so much! I wish for the coming New Year to be everybody's best yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of those portraits are really lovely! Charlie looks very lifelike!

    Have a safe New Years Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erika, what a trip one goes on while viewing these portraits. Look at the one you did. It's not just one dimensional. I can see the back of the subject's head...so to speak. I found it interesting that this was true in the paintings rendered by many of the men artists in particular. Like magic! Of course several women do this pretty well too. Some artists just prefer the flatter look so I can't knock that at all. I liked those too. But to be able to see the BACK OF THE HEADS is a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Tiglizzyclone! Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anon
    What a wonderful compliment thank you so much! I'll have to pay attention to what you've observed about most male portraitists vs. female. I would have thought the other way since women tend to nurture more but I've never really observed that! Thanks so much again and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great portrait for DSFDF Erika. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Erika, Your portrait of Charlie in charcoal is quite remarkable. I particularly like the way you focus our attention on his eyes. Thank you for the card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks you so much Dominique and a very happy and prosperous new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss Alice! Thank you my dear Charlie has such expressive eyes I couldn't help it! Glad you like :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment ~Erika