Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kathy's Portrait WIP and Daffodils in oils

Detail of "Spring Daffodils"
Click on the image to see better. This is my favorite part of the painting. I ended up losing my muse below this. That's when you go, "I hate it when that happens!" The whole painting looks good hanging, very sweet and springy. It's off to Wishing Spring Gallery tomorrow!

"Spring Daffodils" 6x18 oil on stretched canvas

The painting is based on the first bouquet of daffodils I received this spring. My neighbor has an awesome garden and she supplies me with lovely bouquets! It thrills me when I hear the knock on the door and I notice it's either her granddaughter or her :)

"Kathy" 8x10-ish watercolor on paper

This is work in progress aka WIP. Today is my departed niece's birthday. We lost her last year. Gone too soon. But that's her, always smiling even through her cancer treatments. I can't wait to get this done. I don't know why I insist on putting flowers when I paint my relatives :D I am so not a flower painter!!! I guess I just enjoy seeing life.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely signs of Spring! I had no idea how lovely the daffodils smelled - brought them in for the first time this year!
    Portrait is a real beauty, Erika :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Tootsie Roll! YES daffodil scent is one of my faves so subtle. The yellows seems to smell the bestest. You bought? Must plant daffodils they are happy multipliers!

    Thanks about the portrait. Had to put it away for now so I can work but I want to finish it soon!
    xome

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both lovely! the flowers look like I can reach out and touch them! And in Kathy you can see a love of life coming through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy's portrait is soooo perfect...you gave her a heavenly aura. I like the flowers too. Keep on sistah! loveya.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful girl your niece was--so sorry for your loss. The portrait is looking lovely--I'm sure it will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hillary thanks! I wish I could have finish the daffodils with same focus though. Now I hope I can hang on to my focus on Kathy's :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ate Belle! I hope you still like the portrait when it's done HAHAHA! Thank you love you tooOOooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don!!!! HAHAHA nice to see you! Thanks for your kind words. I know you paint bulls, but do you paint flowers? Another question, why did I approach this so tight? :) Good to see ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such an excellent artist. While Tatay was such a genius in creating stories and movies from people's lives and experiences, you have the great talent in capturing them and expressing them all in canvass or paper. Salute and thanks for doing it for Kathy. Love you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How touching Ate Anna thank you so much! I'm glad you like Kathy's portrait so far because I'm sending it you as my gift, of course it belongs with her mother! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment ~Erika