Wednesday, May 11, 2011

DPW Week May 7 Vegetable Challenge

"Tired Peony and its Vegetable Friends" 10x6 watercolors
This week's Daily Paintworks challenge is to paint vegetables from life.  I wasn't sure how I'd like the challenge, especially using watercolors.  I tend to think in oils when I consider painting still life.  But I think the rich color transitions made this project fun.

Lately I've been feeling like my stamina is being rationed.  I'd basically think about setting up a still life for painting and before I know it, I'm exhausted just running around gathering objects!  Sometimes I get tired just thinking about what objects I want to use!  Maybe it's because it's spring time.  I always suffer stimulation overload in the spring because of all the flowers I want to paint and the pressure of them fading soon if I don't save a block of time to paint them!  Then torment myself with the feeling I don't know how to paint flowers.  It's a laughable situation but a real torture sometimes!  So there you go, a tired peony and its vegetable friends!  I was tempted to paint a person for the peony's friend but I didn't.  So I hope I get humanitarian points for that ;)

12 comments:

  1. I've already left a comment about this painting and kidded with you about the relationship between the subjects. I want to let you know that this is a lovely work. Water color is one of my least favorite mediums to work in. Probably because I don't do it well. You do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA ok and I've responded to ya! Thanks! It took me years before I began to enjoy watercolors. I think I had to find my own voice with this medium. As a matter of fact, I am still in that stage. I can paint tight and can also paint even more loosely in watercolors. But I tend to respond to a subject with a style that I think will best express what I try to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another precious! Great job and very suiting title which put a big smile on my face.

    I know exactly what you mean about thinking about and then gathering still-life objects....exciting but very draining.
    Thanks for sharing! Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color and composition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lulu glad you understand me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ate Belle you're always so supportive love u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it was out of your comfort zone working with water colors but this looks great. What I do like about challenges and themes is they really make me stretch and work on something I wouldn't otherwise consider. I could see that in my kitchen (if I had a blank spot to put it)...(-;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherrykey welcome to my blog! Actually my most successful sales as far as art exhibit sales have been watercolors. But you're right, I actually still have a discomfort with it, especially after I've just painted oils! I love the challenges because they give me a nudge and they are truly interesting as projects! So glad you like this piece :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment ~Erika